Pages

Saturday, February 11

Advertising Makes Me Nauseous

& "want to fwow up... projectilishly" *
Consumer Degradation Trends
Even though I turned in by cable box nine months ago, I am still accosted by the professional descendants of Edward Bernays and their illicit, ever less covert brainwashing.

This occurs whenever I happen into a bar for a quick Stout or watch what little television I allow through my broadband connection.

I find my self overwhelmed by how abjectly dreadful the purported entertainment and its attendant corporate wrappings are.

Yves Smith at naked capitalism ‡  had a post earlier this week shredding a recent Wired article that attempted to soften the reality – or soft peddle excuses regarding the self-destructing employees at Foxconn.

They make your iGadgets, your electronic distraction widgets, your primary tools for self-absorption and denial.

You should be proud, America (fuck yeah). Now billions of “the rest” want to despoil the planet in search of immediate, transient gratification thus leaving a poisonously fetid legacy for their progeny. And we continue to do so for ours.

I ain't buyin'. Anyway ... Cheers!

* With thanks and an h/t to Charles Pierce's “What the Washington Elites Got Up to This Weekend
Google Search and h/t to Conrad Murray via Jim Quinn via Tyler Durden
‡ “Wired’s Embarrassing Whitewash of Foxconn

No comments: